First — a reminder to reserve your spot at A Novel Night Gala on May 6. Tickets are on sale now at NovelNightGala.org. For questions or more information, contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-627-5790. You can also find more information about Your Library Transformation at ebonnerlibrary.org.
Thousands of free financial education classes and seminars for consumers will be held throughout the U.S. during Money Smart Week, April 22-29. Launched in 2002 by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, the program is now active in more than 45 states through national partnerships with the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) Cooperative Extension and the American Library Association.
People of all ages can enjoy classes, workshops and activities designed to increase financial literacy at both branches of the East Bonner County Library District. From piggy bank painting to budgeting workshops, Money Smart Week has something for everyone. Each workshop is designed to provide practical value to participants with free tools and tips to take home. Pre-register for “Managing Your Personal Finances” to receive a packet that includes a build-your-own-budget template to be used at the workshop. “Intro to Financial Fitness for Teens” will answer the most commonly asked questions about money management. The Sand-point and Clark Fork story times and Craft-ernoon will teach basic money management skills to children through hands-on activities and stories. See the schedule below for details. Visit our events calendar at eBonnerLibrary.org and click on the event listing to print or download a program poster with more information.
All of the following classes and events take place at the Sandpoint Branch Library, 1407 Cedar, unless otherwise indicated.
• Monday, April 24 — Poem in Your Pocket Day. The Sandpoint Friends of the Library will be out in the community delivering poems in conjunction with Poem in Your Pocket Day celebrating National Poetry Month. Have a favorite poem? Join the fun and share it with a friend.
• Monday, April 24 — Homework Help, 3 p.m.; quiet study space for middle and high school students with peer to peer collaboration and help from library staff.
• Monday, April 24 — Teen STEAM, 4 p.m.; a different activity each month with a focus on fun with science, technology, engineering, art and/or math. Event is held at the Sandpoint Teen Center, 104 Division Ave., and is a partnership between the library and Sandpoint Teen Center. For information, contact Morgan at 263-6930, ext. 1245.
• Tuesday, April 25 — Mother Goose, 10:15 a.m.; for children ages 0 to 3.
• Tuesday, April 25 — Special Money Smart Week Preschool Storytime, 10:15 a.m. Money Smart Week joins the regularly scheduled Mother Goose and Preschool Storytimes with a special piggy bank painting activity. Kids learn some money basics at this free program.
• Tuesday, April 25 — Make It at The Library, 3 p.m. Kids and families create with robotics, Arduinos, needlework, Legos and other projects.
• Tuesday, April 25 — Robotics with Lego Mindstorm, 3 p.m.; learn to build or code. Program is for boys and girls, age 8 and above; held at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Tuesday, April 25 — 3D Printing Workshop, 5 p.m. Learn what 3D printers are used for and how to design your own 3D printable object. This class is beginner level. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Information: 263-6930.
• Wednesday, April 26 — Special Money Smart Week Stories & More, 10:30 a.m. Money Smart Week joins the regularly scheduled Stories & More with a special themed activity. Kids learn some money basics at this free program at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Wednesday, April 26 — Crafternoon; create poetry journals, 2 p.m. Celebrate National Poetry Month by making a handcrafted journal to keep your works! Free family fun.
• Wednesday, April 26 — Clark Fork Make It at the Library, 2 p.m. Kids make a variety of age appropriate projects. Program is held at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main St.
• Wednesday, April 26 — Intro to Financial Fitness for Teens, 5:30 p.m. It’s National Money Smart Week and the library is hooking you up with tips on budgeting, using plastic, compounding interest, and the power of investing in yourself. Call 263-6930, ext. 1245, for information.
• Thursday, April 27 — Little Mozart class, 9:45 a.m. An 8-week series in-progress with instructor and Spokane Symphony flutist Jennifer Slaughter; a partnership between the library and the Music Conservatory of Sandpoint. For more information, contact the Music Conservatory at 265-4444 or email@example.com.
• Thursday, April 27 — Crafternoon; Money Smart Week, 3 p.m. Kids get to paint piggy banks to take home! Free family fun at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Friday, April 28 — Teen Writers Club, 3:30 p.m.; teens who write … unite! Collaboration, peer reviews, brainstorming activities. Writing supplies and refreshments provided.
• Saturday, April 29 — Computer class on internet basics, 8:15 a.m. sharp. The amount of information available on the internet is staggering. Learn how to sift through it efficiently to find useful information. Space is limited and preregistration is required. Information: 263-6930.
• Saturday, April 29 — Managing Your Personal Finances, 1 p.m. Learn to manage your personal and family finances for long term financial security through budgeting, debt management and saving. Good information for seasoned household managers and those new to money management. Pre-registration is required by calling 263-6930.
• Saturday, April 29 — Organic seed saving,1 p.m. Come and discuss organic gardening and seed saving. Bring food and seeds to share if you can. If you can’t, come anyway! For information, contact Sandpoint Seed Library volunteer Camisse Nitkowski 263-6248.