In the book, “Understandable Statistics”, authors Charles Henry Brase and Corrinne Pellillo Brase identifiy the primary reason companies offer free samples to potential customers.
“Giving out food samples is expensive and labor-intensive. It clogs supermarket aisles. It is risky. What if a customer tries an item and spits it out on the floor or says the product is awful? It creates litter. Some customers drop toothpicks or small paper cups on the floor or spill the product. However, the budget that companies are willing to spend to have their products sampled is growing.” Why is that? Sampling sells.
Do you like to sample before you buy? Maybe you’ve never thought of The Library this way, but you can sample hundreds of magazines, books, CDs, DVDs, games and more before you make a commitment to add them to your personal library. You will usually find the same new releases in our collection that you will find at the stores. If not, you can request an inter-library loan or purchase request for the item. We have quiet, comfy spaces for sampling or you can check them out and take them with you. OverDrive, Flipster, Hoopla, Freegal and other services in our digital library on eBonnerLibrary.org allow you to borrow or stream e-books, e-magazines, movies, music and more from the comfort of your own device. Freegal even lets you download up to five mp3 songs per week!
Sample before you buy at The Library.
All of the following classes and events take place at the Sandpoint Branch Library, 1407 Cedar, unless otherwise indicated.
• Friday, May 10-Saturday, May 20 — Clark Fork Spring Used Book & Media Sale, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Get spring deals on great books, DVDs and CDs at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Saturday, May 20 — Fourth annual Sandpoint Seed Library Plant Swap, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. Bring your plants and starts to share and adopt some new ones! Talk gardening with some fellow gardeners and learn about the Sandpoint Seed Library! At the East Bonner County Library District’s Sandpoint branch, 1407 Cedar. Information: 263-6930.
• Monday, May 22 — Homework Help, 3 p.m. Program is geared for high school and middle school students and led by library staff and volunteers. Quiet study space with peer to peer collaboration.
• Monday, May 22 — Teen STEAM, 4 p.m. A different activity each month with a focus on fun with science, technology, engineering, art and/or math. Event held at the Sandpoint Teen Center, 104 Division Ave.; partnership between the library and Sandpoint Teen Center. For information, contact Morgan at 263-6930, ext. 1245.
• Monday, May 22 — Pajama Storytime, 6:30 p.m.; put on your jammies, grab a stuffie, and join us for stories.
• Tuesday, May 23 — Mother Goose Reading & Singing, 10:15 a.m.; for ages 0-3.
• Tuesday, May 23 — Preschool Story Time, 11 a.m.; for ages 2-5.
• Tuesday, May 23 — Make It at The Library, 3 p.m. Kids and families create with robotics, Arduinos, needlework, Legos and other projects.
• Tuesday, May 23 — Robotics with Lego Mindstorm, 3 p.m. Learn to build or code. For boys and girls age 8-plus at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Tuesday, May 23 — 3D printing workshop, 5 p.m.; learn what 3D printers are used for and how to design your own 3D printable object. This class is beginner level. Space is limited and pre-registration is required; call 263-6930.
• Wednesday, May 24 — Clark Fork Stories and More, 10:30 a.m.; stories, crafts, prizes and snacks for kids ages 3-8. Program held at the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Wednesday, May 24 — Crafternoon, magnetic slime; 2 p.m.; free family fun with crafts to take home at the East Bonner County Library District’s Sandpoint branch, 1407 Cedar.
• Wednesday, May 24 — Clark Fork Make It at the Library, 2 p.m.; kids make a variety of age-appropriate projects. Program held at East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main St.
• Friday, May 26 — Teen Writers Club, 3 p.m. Serious and budding writers of all writing platforms are welcome on a drop in basis to collaborate and exercise their skill. For information, contact Morgan 263-6930, ext 1245, or via email at email@example.com.
• Saturday, May 27 — Third annual Clark Fork Community Plant Swap, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Bring your plants and starts to share and adopt some new ones! Talk gardening with some fellow gardeners and learn about the Sandpoint Seed Library! At the East Bonner County Library District’s Clark Fork branch, 601 Main.
• Saturday, May 27 — Organic Seed Saving, 1-3 p.m. Come and discuss organic gardening and seed saving. Bring food and seeds to share if you can. If you can’t, come anyway! Event is held at the East Bonner County Library District’s Sandpoint branch, 1407 Cedar. Information: Camisse Nitkowski, 263-6248.
Marcy Timblin is in charge of public relations, marketing and community development for the East Bonner County Library District. She can be reached at 208-263-6930, ext. 1204.