SANDPOINT — The big fish, Lake Pend Oreille Idaho Club officials say, are making their presence felt on the mackinaw side of the annual fishing derby.
“Not a lot of changes in the standings, but the mackinaw division is where the big fish seem to be,” said LPOIC vice president Clint Nicholson. “A few rainbows are being caught, but there’s loads of room in that division.”
Taking over the top spot in the mackinaw division is Scott Plue who hooked a 23.34-pound fish measuring 35 inches. In the rainbow trout division, Rodney Vanoever, who caught a 15.9-pound fish measuring out at 31.5 inches on Saturday, maintained his spot atop leaderboard.
In the junior division, Luke Stebman has the top fish with 10.78-pounder measuring 28 inches. The leader in the Youth A division is Londyn Speckman, who caught a 10.34-pound, 29.5-inch fish; and leading the Youth B division is Jackson Sifford, who caught a 15.90-pound, 33.25-inch fish.
Leading in the German Brown division is Brad Andies, who caught a 3.12-pound, 20.25-inch fish.
First- and second-place finishers stand to win $4,500 and $2,500, respectively. Third-, fourth- and fifth-place finishers in the adult rainbow division are in line to win $1,500, $750 and $500, respectively. There is also a $2,000 bonus that will be divided among LPOIC members who finish in the top five.
In the adult Mackinaw division, the top prize is $1,500. Second- through fifth-place finishers are eligible for awards of $800, $600, $400 and $200.
There is also a $150 daily prize for the biggest lake trout entered in the adult mackinaw contest.
In all, the LPOIC spring derby offers more than $18,000 and cash and prizes.
The awards ceremony is set for 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 13, at the Bonner Mall in Ponderay.
Lake Pend Oreille
Spring K&K Derby 2017
Standings (Wednesday, May 3)
Adult rainbow trout:
1. Rodney Vanoever, 15.90 pounds, 31.5 inches; 2. Jeff Baugh, 14.48, 33.5; 3. James Chapman, 13.98, 31; 4. Vern Scott, 13.52, 31; 5. Charles Oliver, 12.66, 29.5.
1. Scott Plue, 23.34 pounds, 37 inches; 2. Derek Blanchard, 22.90, 37; 3. Randy Michaels, 19.92, 35.5; 4. Becky Morrson, 19.72, 38; 5. Jan Deife, 18.86, 36; .
Junior Division (14-18 years old):
1. Luke Stebman, 10.78 pounds, 28 inches; 2. Dawson Mackay, 9.94, 27.75; 3. Ryan Johnson, 9.14, 28.
Youth A Division (9-13 years old):
1. Londyn Speckman, 10.34 pounds, 29.5 inches; 2. Grace Hackney, 6.54, 23; 3. Caleb Roeder, 4.88, 33.25.
Youth B Division (0-8 years old):
1. Jackson Sifford, 15.90 pounds, 33.25 inches; 2. Jace Chapman, 12.46, 29; 3. Carley Laybourne, 11.3, 29.
German Brown Division
1. Brad Andies, 3.12 pounds, 20.25 inches.
Mac of the Day
April 29 — Becky Morrison (sponsored by Mirror Lake Golf Course)
April 30 — Derek Blanchard (sponsored by Sandpoint Marine and Motorsports)
May 1 — John Hankey (sponsored by Pacific Steel and Recycling)
May 2 — Joseph Eicher (sponsored by Dr. Benjamin Hull, DDS)
May 3 — Scott Plue (sponsor to be announced)
Caroline Lobsinger can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on Twitter @CarolDailyBee.