If so, you’re in luck. There are a number of meetings already scheduled to get into the nitty-gritty of the proposal.
Lake Pend Oreille School District officials aim to make the proposed $1 million-a-year increase to local property taxes crystal clear for voters.
Each presentation will detail why the school board choose this particular financial plan, what will be lost if the levy doesn’t pass and what will still likely need to be cut even if it does.
The first chance to learn more about the levy will be tonight at the school board meeting. The public portion begins 6 p.m. at Washington Elementary and will feature a financial update from business manager Lisa Hal as well as the levy presentation itself from Superintendent Shawn Woodward.
In the weeks following the board meeting, several other presentations for school staff members and community groups are already planned.
Beyond the already-scheduled school and organization meetings, several community meetings will likely be scheduled as dates become available. Finally, Woodward will discuss the levy on Bill Litsinger’s radio program, scheduled for Feb. 11 between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
If approved by voters, the new levy will amount to $7,883,742 per year over two years. It will likely run property owners about $224 a year for every $200,000 of property with a homeowner’s exemption. By contrast, the lowest option during planning sessions, which was a slight reduction of the 2011-2013 levy, would have totaled $192 a year with a homeowner’s exemption.
Want to learn more?
In addition to the upcoming board meeting, levy presentations will be held:
• Jan. 23 — Lake Pend Oreille High School, 1:30 p.m.
• Jan. 24 — Sandpoint High School band room, 1 p.m.
• Jan. 24 — Northside Elementary, 2:25 p.m.
• Jan. 28 — Hope Elementary, 10:30 a.m.
• Jan. 28 — Kootenai Elementary, 1 p.m
• Jan. 29 — Jalapeño’s, 12 p.m. (Bulldog Bench meeting)
• Jan. 29 — Washington Elementary, 2:55 p.m.
• Jan. 30 — Sandpoint Middle School, 1:35 p.m.
• Feb. 1 — Connie’s, 11:30 a.m. (NARFE meeting)
• Feb. 13 — Panhandle State Bank community room, 12 p.m. (Sandpoint Rotary meeting)
• Feb. 13 — Sagle Elementary, 2 p.m.
• Feb. 14 — PSB community room, 12 p.m. (Greater Sandpoint Chamber of Commerce meeting)
• Feb. 19 — Hope Community Center, 6:30 p.m.
• Feb. 20 — Southside Elementary, 2:05 p.m.
• Feb. 28 – Selkirk Association of Realtors, 12 p.m.