Bonner County History - March 1, 2018

Print Article

From the archives of the

Bonner County History Museum

611 S. Ella Ave., Sandpoint, ID 83864

208-263-2344

50 Years Ago

Sandpoint News-Bulletin

March 1, 1968 – GROUSE CREEK NEWS

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Don Albertson on Feb. 19. He joins a brother and two sisters.

This community was well represented at the Beef-A-Rama at Community hall last Friday.

Grouse Creek Home Ec Club will meet with Dorothy Scheffelmaier as hostess, March 5.

•••

ELLER LOANED MACHINES

Ray Eller is credited with loaning snowmobiles to the party which recently installed the television translator at the summit of Baldy mountain west of town, according to Sandpoint Lions members.

•••

SHERRIL TIMBLIN MARRIED IN SPOKANE

Mr. and Mrs. Bud Timblin, Sandpoint, announce the marriage of their daughter, Sherrill Kay, to Kermit Pierson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Pierson, Spokane. The ceremony was performed Feb. 7 in the home of Judge Gordon S. Lower.

•••

FEEL FRANCE SHOULD PAY WWI DEBT

Congressman James McClure has joined 125 colleagues in introducing a bill in the House of Representatives to require France to begin immediate payment of its World War I debt. The resolution calls for 20 equal payments and provides that should France default on payments the U.S. president would be required to take steps necessary to guarantee payment.

100 Years Ago

Pend d’Oreille Review

March 1, 1918 – VICTORY BREAD

There is no standard recipe for “victory bread,” the only requirement is that it must contain not over 80 percent wheat flour, the other 20 percent being cornmeal or corn flour, rice, potato flour, or other cereals recommended by the food administration. “Victory” pies and doughnuts containing not less than one-third non-wheat flour may be sold on wheatless days if the same recipes are used throughout the week.

•••

HIGH SCHOOL NOTES

Professor Rupert, who filled the vacancy left by Mr. Winzenburg, received a telegram recalling him to Nebraska. His brother, an infantry captain, was called to the colors and Mr. Rupert was needed to take his place on the farm.

Maurice O’Leary, “Pip,” a member of the high school class of ’17, and a second class seaman stationed at San Diego, California, pleasantly entertained the student assembly Tuesday with an interesting account of navy life.

•••

NEW INDUSTRY AT ALBANI FALLS

The Washington Brick & Lime company is making arrangements to work a silica deposit near Freeman lake, on the Idaho side north of Newport. The silica, which is used for lining steel furnaces, will be taken to the old Washington Brick & Lime company’s yards at Albani (sic) Falls for manufacture, employing 25 to 30 men.

For more information, visit the museum online at bonnercountyhistory.org.

Print Article

Read More Columns

Bonner County History - Dec. 11, 2018

December 11, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee From the archives of the Bonner County History Museum 611 S. Ella Ave., Sandpoint, ID 83864 208-263-2344 50 Years Ago Sandpoint News-Bulletin Dec. 11, 1968 — BIG AFFIRMATIVE VOTE City offic...

Comments

Read More

Bonner County History - Dec. 9, 2018

December 09, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee From the archives of the Bonner County History Museum 611 S. Ella Ave., Sandpoint, ID 83864 208-263-2344 50 Years Ago Sandpoint News-Bulletin Dec. 9, 1968 — HICKEY/HOLT WEDDING Baskets of l...

Comments

Read More

The touch of the Master’s hand rescues all of us

December 07, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee Nearly a hundred years ago (1921) a woman heard a speaker telling a group of students about God’s ability to bring out the best in people. Inspired, she went home and in 30 minutes wrote a poem whi...

Comments

Read More

There’s no stranger-danger in Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood

December 07, 2018 at 5:00 am | Bonner County Daily Bee “Stranger danger!” That fear is real enough for many parents who teach their children to be careful around people they don’t know. I understand that. But I don’t like it, not one bit. Our culture see...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 263-9534
PO Box 159
Sandpoint, ID 83864

©2018 Bonner County Daily Bee Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X