Discover life beyond the screen! This week is Screen-Free Week, a national seven-day challenge to unplug from digital entertainment. Here locally, Sandpoint Parks and Recreation and The Library are extending the idea through next week with Unplug & Be Outside. Suzanne Davis, Children’s Services Librarian, invites kids to come to Lakeview Park on Thursday, May 10th at 3:15 for a Scavenger Hunt. This, and all of the other Unplug & Be Outside programs are free. Kids can earn prizes by picking up a passport at the Parks and Recreation office and then getting them stamped for attending at least two of the activities. For details, contact the City of Sandpoint Parks and Recreation office at 263-3613.
There are lots of benefits to taking a break from digital, but it may seem impossible in the time we live in. Over the next few weeks, this column will feature a series on the impact that the digital age is having on the average person.
In the meantime, let’s all take advantage of the national and local initiatives to motivate us to put our devices down and enjoy the beautiful area we live in.
• Daily – Visit eBonnerLibrary.org daily to make sure your materials are available during construction.
• Friday, May 4 — American Sign Language course, 9:30 a.m. at the Sandpoint branch. Learn American Sign Language from certified instructor Susan Schaller. This is an ongoing course in progress. For more information, contact Susan Schaller, email@example.com for information on other courses.
• Saturday, May 5 — StoryTime at Panhandle Animal Shelter’s open house, 11 a.m. at Panhandle Animal Shelter, 870 Kootenai Cutoff. For details, contact Children’s Services librarian, Suzanne Davis: 263-6930 ext. 1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Saturday, May 5 — American Sign Language course, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the Sandpoint branch. Learn American Sign Language from certified instructor Susan Schaller. This is an ongoing course in progress. For more information, contact Susan Schaller, email@example.com for information on other courses.
• Monday, May 7 — Teen Center Game, 3:30 p.m. at the Sandpoint Teen Center, 104 S. Division. Teen librarian, Morgan Gariepy hosts a library-sponsored game or STEAM activity for teens. For details about the week’s theme, call Morgan at 263-6930 ext. 1245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tuesday, May 8 — Mother Goose Storytime. 10:15 a.m. at Creations on the Cedar St. Bridge. Stories and singing for babies and toddlers 0-3 years and caregivers. For information, contact Suzanne Davis, 263-6930 ext. 1211 or email@example.com.
• Tuesday, May 8 — Preschool Story-time, 11 a.m. at Creations on the Cedar St. Bridge. Stories and crafts for kids ages 2-5 years and their caregivers. For more information, contact Suzanne Davis, 263-6930 ext. 1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tuesday, May 8 — Robotics with Lego Mindstorm. Use Legos to learn to build or code. For kids age 8-plus. For more information call 266-1321.
• Wednesday, May 9 — Clark Fork Stories & More, 10:30 a.m. at the Clark Fork branch. Story time, crafts, prizes, and snacks for kids ages 3-8. Call 266-1321 for information.
• Wednesday, May 9 — Make It at the Library, 2 p.m. at the Clark Fork branch. Kids make a variety of age appropriate STEAM (science, tech, engineering, art, math) projects. Info: 263-6930 ext. 1245.
• Thursday, May 10 — Clark Fork Crafternoon – Mother’s Day cards. 3 p.m. at the Clark Fork Branch. Free family fun with a hand-made craft to take home! Info: 266-1321.
• Thursday, May 10 — Unplug & Be Outside – Scavenger Hunt. 3:15 p.m. at Lakeview Park, 901 Ontario St. The Library and Sandpoint Parks & Rec team up for a free scavenger hunt to empower families to get up and get physically active. Participants can qualify for prizes. For more information contact Suzanne Davis, Children’s Services Librarian: 263-6930 ext. 1211 or email@example.com.
• StoryWalk — ages from a children’s book are posted along a trail for a fun, family experience. At Dover City Park, read “The Perfect Nest” by Katherine Friend. At McNearney Park in Ponderay (behind Panhandle Animal Shelter), enjoy “Kitchen Dance” by Maurie J. Manning. For more information, visit ebonnerlibrary.org or call Suzanne Davis 263-6930 ext. 1211 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Read, connect, & get outside at a StoryWalk, a partnership of The Library, Kaniksu Land Trust, Dover, and Ponderay.
Marcy Timblin is in charge of public relations, marketing and community development for the East Bonner County Library District. She can be reached at 208-263-6930, ext. 1204.