10 Years Ago — 2008
First time ever
An Oktoberfest celebration is planned for Oct. 4 in downtown Priest River. The first-ever event will feature live music, beer garden, wine tasting and food and craft booths.
The new Emergency Medical Services building was dedicated with a ribbon cutting by top officials Friday morning. The building is on leased property by the West Pend Oreille Fire Department, next to the Priest River Airport.
20 Years Ago — 1998
The Priest River City Council heard an update on the street LID from engineer Eric Eldenburg, who rebutted rumors that the project is being scaled back to cut costs. “Nothing is being deleted, were just adding and making it better,” Eldenburg said.
30 Years Ago — 1988
Tom Keough, principal at Priest River Junior High School, has officially announced his resignation from the position he has held for the past year, citing as reason a new job in San Bernadino, Calif. Keough has taught in the Bonner County schools for 19 years.
40 Years Ago — 1978
Pioneer Motors sold
Pioneer Motors has been sold to dealerships in Sandpoint and Coeur d’ Alene, according to Dave Merrill, who has been operating the agency since it was purchased from Ken Lobdell earlier this year. Lake City Motors can be expected to be active in auto sales at the local agency. (The building was originally the home of Runck’s Garage.)
50 Years Ago — 1968
Enrollment at an
Priest River Elementary figures show a record number of students in grades 1-6, with a total of 409, plus eight students in special education. The 1967 enrollment was 384; and in 1966 it was 370. Bill Boyd is principal. According to junior high school principal Ivan Benson, the seventh and eighth grades are evenly divided, 68 in each class, for a total of 136. High school enrollment totals show 73 in ninth grade, 72 in eleventh and 77 in twelfth, for a total enrollment of 285 — the same as last year.
60 Years Ago — 1958
Facelift for Main Street
Installation of new awnings on many of the business fronts on Main Street has given the street an attractive new look. The bright colored awnings followed recent paint jobs for the majority of places. Among business fronts undergoing improvement with either paint or awnings or both are Breezy Fountain Lunch, Don McInnis Agency, Kaniksu Shop, Maio’s, Post Office, White Cross Pharmacy, Priest River TV and Appliances, Mary’s Tavern, Hoaglands’ Barber Shop.
70 Years Ago — 1948
Time to pay the piper
Priest River has painted its high school (current junior high). Now the piper must be paid. All of us should help.
80 Years Ago — 1938
Bakery gets new equipment
The management of the Priest River Bakery is installing additional equipment in their place of business. A machine called a “divider” has been installed. This machine automatically cuts and weighs the loaf and does away with hard work in this connection. A “rounder” will be installed later.
90 Years Ago — 1928
The Priest River schools opened Sept. 7. The enrollment is as follows: high school, 75, 26 from outside districts; 54 in junior high; and 162 in the grades.
100 Years Ago — 1918
Beans for everyone
Fred Losh harvested about 500 pounds of beans on his place east of town this year. Anyone desiring to lay in their winter’s supply of beans had better see Fred before they are all sold. We can testify they are good.