From the archives of the
Bonner County History Museum
611 S. Ella Ave., Sandpoint, ID 83864
50 Years Ago
June 11, 1969 – RECEIVE LIFE RANK
Scouts Kevin Sawyer and Ken Martin received their life rank at a Troop 101 court of honor.
BUS DEPOT MOVES TO 227 PINE
L.E. Littlejohn, local Greyhound Bus Lines ticket agent, has moved the depot office to 227 Pine. The depot, which is in a portion of the building housing Bud’s Plumbing & Electric, will be open daily from 8 to 11 a.m. and from 4 to 8 p.m.
JUNIOR HIGH DRILL TEAM BUSY
The Sandpoint Junior High girls drill team under the direction of Mrs. Blanche Evans, was well received by those who saw them perform. Team captains were Teresa Johnson and Valerie Fisher. Other members include Anna Bricker, Deborah Harley, Twila Schilling, Susan Schwandt, Wendy Forest, Judy McMurtrey, Elizabeth Nordeen, Jackie Raynor, Kathleen Kincaid, Judy Johnson, Kathy Cochran, Billie Fournier, Kathy Watson, Colleen Hofmeister, Gail Hawkins, Vicky Hruza, Carrie Anderson, Deborah Luckey, Susan Gutenberger, Linda LaMarche, Corrine Beyer, Debra Bloxom, Jane Davis, Lynn Robin Hart, Leslie Nelson, Dianne Balch, Patty Lipps, Terri Bergstrom, Billie O’Donnell, Kathy Kotschevar, Kristine Kotschevar, Sarah Hedlund, Linda McPherson, Karen Applegate, Virginia Garrison, Daralyn Tollbom, Gayle Sundgren, Katy Whalen, Deborah Hiatt, and Jacque Reader.
100 Years Ago
Pend d’Oreille Review
June 11, 1919 – CITY BREVITIES
The curfew whistle now blows at 9:30 instead of 9 o’clock, so that the kiddies will not have to be driven home before dark.
J.K. Ashley, Sr. was in Clarksfork to survey a new tunnel on the Clarinda mining property, better known as the John E. White property, which is now under the management of Compton White. It is understood the company is amply financed for doing development work.
KERR & NEAD SELL GROCERY DEPT.
Duncan Bros., James L. Duncan who has been with Kerr & Nead three months, and O.D. Duncan, new arrival from Wheaton, Mo., closed a deal to purchase the grocery department of the Kerr & Nead general store. On June 15, they will move their goods to the Farmin building (109 Cedar) where Red Cross headquarters have been. Kerr & Nead will use their whole building for dry goods and boot and shoe stocks.
TOURIST CAMPING SITE SELECTED
At Monday’s Civic club meeting, the ladies in charge of locating a tourist camp in the city reported in favor of locating the grounds on the N.P. right-of-way across Bridge street, where the soldiers were stationed in the summer of 1917. The Northern Pacific has offered the grounds at the nominal rent of $1 a year.
For more information, visit the museum online at bonnercountyhistory.org.