For the 25th year, Idaho Public Television hosted the annual PBS KIDS Writers Contest. IdahoPTV encouraged children in kindergarten through third grade who reside within its broadcast area, which covers all of Idaho and nearby communities in surrounding states, to write and illustrate their own imaginative story.
IdahoPTV received 410 entries. A team of volunteers judged the entries on creativity, originality, language skills and illustrations. Winners for each grade were chosen for each region of Idaho for a total of 35 winners.
The winning stories have been scanned and uploaded in full color onto the IdahoPTV website (idahoptv.org/kids/writers.cfm).
In the North Idaho region, which includes Bonner County, the winners for KUID/Moscow are:
1. “Libby the Kitty on Her Adventures”, Liberty Hazard, Sandpoint
2. “Papa’s Helper at the Cabin”, Joseph Hughes, Spokane, Wash.
1. “The Big Race”, Clayton Miller, Nezperce
2. “How to Train Puppies”, Josie Walbom, Kamiah
3. “How to Go Sledding”, Donaven Kleinsmith, Nezperce
1. “Lizard Wizard”, Henry Madden”, Sandpoint
2. “The Adventures of Lumpy Wafflebrains”, Madhav Khot, Pullman, Wash.
3. “Bobcats”, Sage Hammond, Juliaetta
1. “My Journey to the North Pole”, Claire Arpke, Hayden
2. “A Little Leaf”, Julie Belzak, Rathdrum
3. “When My Sister Was Born”, Wyatt Meacham, Craigmont
“We had 410 submissions from around Idaho this year and the stories were wonderful,” says Cindy Lunte, IdahoPTV education specialist. “Thanks to all the children who took the time to dream up their delightful stories, then add such beautiful illustrations. The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is a great way for children to engage in an activity that helps them develop better language skills and creativity — abilities that are vital in today’s world.”
Principal support for this year’s contest was provided by the F.M., Anne G. & Beverly B. Bistline Foundation in the Idaho Community Foundation; Walmart; and IDeal - Idaho College Savings Program.